Adrenal stress profile - salivary
|Test Details for Ordering|
|Test||Adrenal Stress Profile (salivary)|
|Sample required||Saliva sample|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
There is no need to use a courier service if returning samples to the laboratory within the UK - simply use Royal Mail 1st class service or Next Day Guaranteed delivery. However, if you wish you can use the service offered by Genova Diagnostics, called Streetwise courier service. The test kit will have details of that service and the paperwork. Genova Diagnostics will charge you for this service. Current Streetwise delivery fee payable to Genova Diagnostics is £12.
This test measures levels of cortisol and DHEA-s in 4 samples of saliva collected over 24 hours to assess body levels of both hormones. I use this test widely for patients with fatigue syndromes. They often respond well to low dose cortisol and/or pregnenolone. Pregnenolone is available from Pharmwest and other online outlets. Hydrocortisone has to be prescribed by a doctor. For comments on abnormal results - see Adrenal Stress Profile test result - What does it mean?
One can request melatonin levels in addition.
4 saliva samples.
If you are using a steroid inhaler to control an attack of asthma or steroid medication in tablet form, do not do the test during that time as the readings will be completely skewed. Please, wait at least one week after stopping the steroids before collecting the saliva samples.
The kit for this test includes four collection tubes, packaging materials for transporting the samples in the post, a request form and an envelope for sending the sample to the laboratory and detailed instruction for collecting the samples.
- Collect the samples by following the instructions enclosed with the test kit.
- Make sure that your name, date of birth and date sample taken are correctly entered on the sample tube.
- Make sure all the necessary details are correct on the laboratory request form.
- Post the sample in the packaging materials provided making sure that the laboratory request form is enclosed with the samples. Use 1st class Royal Mail service (which is adequate) or Special Delivery Next Day service. There is no need to use a courier service if sending samples within the UK, but if you wish you can use the one offered by Genova Diagnostics – Streetwise courier service. Genova Diagnostics will charge you for this service. Current Streetwise delivery fee payable to Genova Diagnostics is £12.
- Please, note that there is an interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.