Lufenuron - a potentially useful treatment to treat candida
I am always looking for new treatments for candida which, for many people, is a major problem. The first port of call, of course, is to
- do a diet low in fermentable substrate, (see Stone Age Diet). In fact, more often I now prescribe the ketogenic diet - please see Ketogenic diet - the practical details and My book The PK Cookbook - Go Paleo-ketogenic and get the best of both worlds.
- correct nutritional deficiencies, (see Nutritional Supplements)
- take probiotics and, (see Probiotics)
- for some, avoid yeast in foods.
However, many people need specific antifungals, which can be herbal or prescribed medication. Because yeast infections are less common than bacterial infections, we have a wide range of antibiotics to choose from, but not such a wide range of antifungals. Lufenuron gives us another useful and effective systemic antifungal.
Lufenuron is much better known in the veterinary world as Program. It is used to treat parasite infections such as fleas. It works because it inhibits chitin production. Humans and, indeed, all mammals do not produce chitin and therefore the potential for side effects in humans is very small. Insects do need chitin to make a tough exoskeleton. Interestingly, so do yeasts and moulds – it is chitin in their cell wall that makes them so tough and difficult to kill.
Therefore, potentially Lufenuron can be used to kill yeasts and moulds and, indeed, this has been well demonstrated in the veterinary world. It is not metabolised or eliminated by the liver or kidneys, but excreted through the faeces and again this makes it remarkably non-toxic.
Lufenuron is very lipid soluble – this means it is taken over five days and loads up into fatty tissues from which it is slowly released over four to six weeks. This maintains tissue concentrations high enough to kill all yeast, including candida, for at least a month and possibly longer. One can get die-off reactions, but that is the case with any antifungal which is effective. (see http://buy-lufenuron.com/lufenuron.pdf
I have had some happy feedback already from patients taking Lufenuron.
- Stone Age Diet
- Nutritional Supplements
- Yeast problems and candida
- Ketogenic diet - the practical details
- My book The PK Cookbook - Go Paleo-ketogenic and get the best of both worlds.
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339