Minerals - critically important if you wish to stay healthy
You could argue that we all die ultimately from mineral and vitamin deficiencies. People who traditionally live to great ages are often found living in areas watered by streams from glaciers. Glaciers are lakes of ice which have spent the previous few thousand years crunching up rocks. Therefore the waters coming from the glaciers are very rich in minerals. This is used not just to drink but irrigate crops and bathe in.
These people therefore had excellent levels of micronutrients. Given the right raw materials, things do not go wrong in the body and ageing is slow. For example:
- Low magnesium and selenium is a risk factor for heart disease
- Low selenium increases risk of cancer.
- Copper is necessary to make elastic tissue - deficiency causes weaknesses in arteries leading to anneurysms
- Low chromium increases risk of diabetes
- Good antioxidant status (vitamins A,C,E and selenium) slows the ageing process
- Superoxide dismutase enzymes require zinc, copper and manganese to function
- Iodine is necessary to make thyroid hormones and is highly protective against breast disease. See Iodine
- The immune system needs a huge range of minerals to work well, especially zinc, selenium, magnesium
- Boron is highly protective against arthritis
- Magnesium is required in at least 300 enzyme systems
- Zinc is needed for normal brain development, a deficiency at a critical stage of development causes dyslexia
- Any deficiency of selenium, zinc, copper, magnesium can cause infertility
- Iron prevents anaemia
- Molybdenum is necessary to detox sulphites
The secret of success is to copy Nature. Civilisation has brought great advantages, but at the same time is responsible for escalating death rates from cancer and heart disease. I want the best of both worlds. I like my warm kitchen, cool fridge, wood burning cooker, computer and telly. But I want to eat and live in the environment in which primitive man thrived.
- Disease prevention
- Nutritional Supplements - what everybody should be taking all the time even if nothing is wrong
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339