Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) - Principles of Treatment
Multiple chemical sensitivity is an inevitable part of modern Western lifestyles. Chemicals have huge potential to do harm, and if the body senses this, it will set up an early warning system. It achieves this by giving you symptoms when you are exposed to such a chemical. In low doses, chemicals can be detoxified in the body and do not cause problems. If our defences are overwhelmed, the chemical will cause a poisoning. The body recognises this and remembers the chemical. So in the future when there are tiny, non-poisonous exposures the alarm bells ring with symptoms. This is fine if it is just one or two chemicals causing minor symptoms. So for example if I smell perfume I will sneeze, larger doses and I suffer a foggy brain.
The mechanism of this is the same as the mechanism for viral infection and subsequent immunity.
Problems arise when there is sensitivity to many chemicals and the warning symptoms are severe. In some people one can get anaphylactic reactions to chemicals resulting in collapse. For some it is a sudden and major flare of their fatigue, muscle symptoms, migraine or whatever.
What this means in practice is that chemical sensitivity and toxicity go together. People with chemical sensitivity have been "poisoned" somewhere in the past and are likely to have an on-going toxic load. This is why detox regimes are part of the treatment.
You must avoid those chemicals to which you react allergically - this is the mainstay of treatment and without this other treatments will not work. This includes those toxic chemicals which may have turned on your MCS. See Do A Good Chemical Clean-Up.
Increasingly people with MCS, especially where there is heavy metal poisoning, develop Electrical sensitivity
- See Detoxification - an overview
- By FIR Saunaing: See Detoxing - Far Infrared Sauna (FIRS)
- By improving ability to detox as follows:
- Do the The general approach to maintaining and restoring good health
- By doing the test for Glutathione Studies (please ask my office for this test). This is about getting rid of chemicals which are already in the body. These are mostly found in fatty tissues and there are techniques for mobilising chemicals from fats so that they are excreted in urine.
- Phospholipid exchange
My preference is for Enzyme Potentiated Desensitisation (EPD) - how it works but neutralisation (Neutralisation) also has a good track record.
Some patients are so sensitive to chemicals that they react to outdoor air pollution. This is more likely to be a problem if you live near a polluting source such as power stations (who burn cheap and therefore dirty fuels which are waste products of the mining or petroleum distilling industry), manufacturing industry, chemical plants, steel industry, mining industry, waste disposal industry, toxic waste sites etc. UK has a very poor record of polluting industry overseen by an incompetent Environment Agency, incompetent Public Health Doctors and incompetent Poisons Units.
For further information see Country Doctor and look for the work of Dr Dick Van Steenis and Dr Michael Ryan.
If you cannot avoid the chemicals which are making you ill, then you may consider moving away. You could test for this by staying in a clean environment. For example, this can be achieved by staying with Catherine Austin in her "Chemically Free Organic B & B". For more information, her contact details are:
- Catherine Austin
Tel: 01208 814514
For products, also see Healthy House. As a general principle move West because the prevailing winds are from the Atlantic, but check carefully for polluting industry first. Some people have to move to a warm climate if they are also mould sensitive. Further information in Moving house - things to look for if you suffer from MCS.
It begs the question why some patients develop chemical sensitivity whilst others do not. This is all about individual susceptibility to chemicals, viz. Homo Sapiens Chemicalis
- Do A Good Chemical Clean-Up
- Electrical sensitivity
- Detoxification - an overview
- Detoxing - Far Infrared Sauna (FIRS)
- The general approach to maintaining and restoring good health
- Phospholipid exchange
- Enzyme Potentiated Desensitisation (EPD) - how it works
- Moving house - things to look for if you suffer from MCS
- Homo Sapiens Chemicalis
- Chemical poisoning - general principles of diagnosis and treatment
- Chemical Poisoning and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) - how to reduce your daily exposures
- Chemical Poisoning and Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) - how to reduce the body load
- Chemical poisons and toxins
- Chemical toxicity and sensitivity - A study of 210 patients treated with sweating regimes
- MCS - what are the symptoms of
- MCS - what is it
- MCS - who gets it
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339