Open letter about my GMC hearing April 2010
April 9th 2010
Re: The GMC is about to withdraw my licence to practice
Yesterday Thursday, April 8th 2010 at 10am I was ordered by the GMC to attend an Interim Orders Panel on Monday April 12th with a view to withdrawing my licence to practise (Case Reference: PB/C1-314994282). One week ago I received a complaint about my website, to which I have yet to reply. However, on the basis of this unsubstantiated complaint by an anonymous complainant (I am told the name but not who he/she is), the GMC have decided that “there is a potential risk to public safety”. There are no specific allegations, I am not being allowed to defend myself against any such allegations, I may have to wait a further 18 months for such a hearing when my licence could then be restored, i.e. I am presumed guilty until I can prove my innocence. This is the opposite to normal English law.
No patient has complained, no patient has been harmed and no patient has been put at any risk of harm. However, should I lose my licence, patients will certainly be put at risk of harm; partly because they will be denied access to medication essential to their well being, partly because they will lose access to tests and partly because I will be unable to support patients in applications for DLA and other such medico-legal issues.
I have applied for a postponement on the grounds that the time scale is too short for me to appoint representation. The GMC’s normal practice is to give doctors seven days’ notice.
PLEASE HELP! By
- Emailing the GMC on email@example.com
- Telephoning Mr Paul Bridge on 0161 923 6417
- Faxing Mr Adam Elliott on 0207 189 5177
- Writing to Mr Paul Bridge, General Medical Council, 3 Hardman St, Manchester M3 3AW
quoting Case Reference: PB/C1-314994282
- to what extent you have found the website a helpful source of information;
- what it would mean to you personally and to your health if you are unable to avail yourself of my services as a doctor;
- request to attend a future Fitness to Practise Hearing to give evidence that you have been helped by information from my website.
Ask the GMC to acknowledge your concerns.
If my licence is withdrawn then I will continue to practise within the limitations laid down by the GMC. In reality my advice to patients will be unchanged, but I shall not be so empowered as to put in place all the interventions that so many patients have found helpful! Please, fight alongside me. I have to remain cool, calm, and collected in my dealings with the GMC, but you can get angry and emotional – so please do! I will keep you all updated on my website.
Update afternoon of April 9th – the GMC have now postponed this initial Hearing to April 29th. It will be in London at 10:30 on Thursday 29 April 2010 at the offices of the General Medical Council, Regent’s Place, 350 Euston Road, London NW1 3JN. Under Section 33a of Imposing Interim Orders April 2008 Guidance I have asked that the IOP be held in public.